Engineering Change Management is a simple three (3) step process that brings Microsoft Dynamics NAV the ability to: Notify the department(s) that a Change is needed; Send a request for the Change; and Execute the Change in the Production BOM. Depending on the needs of the user and their organization, Engineering Change Management is a solution that can be executed in as little as one (1) step or full Document Approval can be implemented.
Here is a short video on ECM. Best viewed in Full Screen Mode.
The Three (3) Step Process:
- Initiate a Change Notice:
- All users within the organization can notice that a change is needed to a Bill of Materials. An initial document is created to notify management that potential improvement could be made to a BOM.
- Change Request:
- Start here, or move the initial Notice into a Request. Now the user will submit a Document Approval Notice to the appropriate staff members. Various department heads can be assigned to review the proposed change and approve the change.
- Change Order:
- Start here, or move the Request to an Order. This authorizes a change to the Bill of Materials. The affected items will be listed on the ECO, and the requested adjustments to the master Bill of Materials can now be complete. (Edit the BOM or create a new BOM Version depending on your Microsoft License access).
- Though not a “stop” per se, “Documenting is still an important aspect of this process. And because Documenting is so critical for history and future analysis, Engineering Change Management keeps complete history of every step. Upon making a Notice into a Request, a copy of the original Notice is sent to the Notice’s History, a helpful tool which allows users to view all the associated Notices, Requests, and Changes that have taken place.
- Organize Changes in a logical-fashion
- Document who approved the Changes
- Document the reason for the Change in the comments
- Always see the Status of each Step
- Track the Creation, Modification, and Implementation Date
- Easily change the Status of Notices, Requests, and Order
- Keep complete history of the approval process
More Information on Engineering Change Management: